Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to our most-asked questions here. Have more? Contact us for a free consultation.
What does a positive SpermCheck Fertility result mean?
What does a negative SpermCheck Fertility result mean?
A negative (one line) result indicates that sperm count is less than 20 million per milliliter, which would likely create conception issues. However, some men with sperm counts below this level are still able to father a baby naturally. It is also important to understand that sperm count can vary from day to day, or improve with lifestyle changes, so it is possible that you might get a positive result if you were to wait a while and take the test again. You should consult a physician if your sperm count test result is negative, particularly on subsequent SpermCheck Fertility home tests.
Is there a right way and a wrong way to collect the semen sample?
Yes; the sample must be obtained only by manual stimulation (masturbation) and ejaculated directly into the sterile cup provided in the kit. Do not use any lubricants or lotions since this may interfere with the test result.
Is having a low sperm count common?
According to the National Institute of Health, 12-15% of couples are unable to conceive after 1 year of having unprotected sex. About 50% of all infertility problems are directly attributed to the male, and most of them are mainly due to low sperm count.
How can a man increase his sperm count naturally?
In some cases, sperm count may increase if an underlying condition can be identified and treated. However, the following dietary and lifestyle changes can also help a man increase his sperm count:
- Eat a healthy diet rich in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Replace animal fats with monounsaturated oils, such as olive oil. Certain specific nutrients and vitamins have been studied for their effects on male infertility and sperm health. While there is no conclusive evidence that they are effective, antioxidant vitamins (vitamin C, vitamin E) and the dietary supplements L-carnitine and L-acetylcarnitine, are known to help increase sperm count.
- Avoid cigarettes and any drugs that may affect sperm count or reduce sexual function.
- There’s a direct correlation between waist size and testosterone levels. The bigger the waist, the lower the testosterone. Overweight men should try to reduce their weight as obesity may be associated with infertility. Men with a body mass index (BMI) over 25 have a 20% increased chance of infertility. Being too thin is also bad; it has been shown a BMI of less than 20 can lower sperm count. Ideal BMI is between 20 and 25.
- Get sufficient rest
- Exercise moderately, but regularly (excessive exercise can impair fertility).
- Although studies indicate that tight underwear is no threat to male fertility, there is no harm in wearing looser clothing (switch from briefs to boxers).
- To prevent overheating of the testes, men should avoid hot baths, Jacuzzis, steam rooms and using a laptop computer directly on their lap for a long length of time.
- Avoid use of sexual lubricants as they may affect sperm motility.
- Reduce stress. It is not known if stress reduction techniques can improve fertility, but they may help couples endure the difficult processes involved in dealing with infertility issues.
Can this test determine whether or not there is semen on my partner’s underwear?
No, this test is only for men who want to test their own sperm count and cannot be used in any other way.
My sample did not become a thin liquid after 20 minutes. Can I still perform the test?
Yes; the SpermCheck device may still provide an accurate result even if your sample does not completely liquefy. However, if your sample has not liquefied at all or if your dropper gets clogged with solid or stringy material, you should discard the sample and wait 48 hours before collecting another one. If you experience the same problem again, you should contact your clinician for a semen evaluation.
The Test Line was not visible after 7 minutes but did appear later. Does this mean there are still sperm present?
The correct time to read the results is precisely at seven (7) minutes after you add the Solution. It is possible that the Test Line may develop some color after 7 minutes, which is why reading the results before or after that time may give an incorrect result.
What does a high test result mean?
A high result does not necessarily mean that your vasectomy was unsuccessful. However, it does mean that there are still too many sperm left in your semen. It is recommended that you continue to use birth control until you talk to your clinician and achieve a negative result on two consecutive tests.
What does a low test result mean?
A low result indicates that your sperm count is extremely low and that the chance of pregnancy is highly unlikely. However, it is still recommended that you speak to your doctor before stopping the use of other birth control methods.